RTO Form 9: Application for the Renewal of the Driving Licence
The RTO offers you a valid driving licence after you successfully clear the exam. However, this permit remains valid for 20 years, or till the candidate attains 50 years (whichever is earlier). After the expiry of the licence, according to Section 177 of the Motor Act, 1988, riders get a grace period for only 30 days. During this period, you must apply for the renewal by the submission of RTO form 9. Driving vehicles with an expired licence beyond the grace period is a punishable offence by law. Applicants also bear penalty charges when they file for the renewal after 30 days of the expiry of the previous permit.
How to fill RTO Form 9 Application?
Here is a step by step process of filling up RTO form 9
At the top of the form affix a recent passport size photograph (5 centimetres by 6 centimetres). Below the photo, furnish your full name and father’s name as mentioned in the identity proof. Married women applicants can also write their husband’s name in this space.
- After the personal details, applicants need to furnish data related to the previous driving licence. You must also attach the document along with this form to validify the details.
- In point ‘a’ and ‘b’, enter the previous driving licence number and the date of issue of the same respectively.
- Furnish the name of the licencing authority from where you have issued your previous driving licence in point ‘c’.
- If your first driving licence has already been renewed once before the present application, then mention about it in point ‘d’. Write the name of the licensing authority who have authorised the renewal along with the number and date of issuing the document.
- In point ‘e’, mention the class of vehicles for which you have owned the licence.
- Point ‘f’ remains concerned with the expiry date of the previous driving licence. If you bear a transport vehicle licence, then mention the expiry date in the first blank. If you drove other automobiles than transport vehicles, then enter the expiry date in the second blank.
- After point ‘f’, enter details about your present address. You must also attach proof of the current address along with the form. If in case, you do not wish to enter your present address on the driving licence, then mention the same on the application.
- If you are unable to attach your previous licence along with the application, then you must enter a valid reason for the unavailability.
- Applicants who have not processed the renewal of driving licence within 30 days of the expiry of the document should furnish a valid reason for the delay.
Below the reasonings, enter the renewal fee which you have paid during the processing of the RTO form 9.
In the concluding part of the form, affix your full signature, name, address, and date of submission of the application. Candidates, who are unable to sign can include their thumb impression in this space.
Documents to be Attached
Here is a list of documents which you need to enclose along with the form
- Previous driving licence
- Three recent passport size photographs
- Identity and address proof
- Medical fitness certificate in Form 1A
Download Application for the Renewal of the Driving Licence
Key Factors to be considered while filling Form 9
The passport size photograph should be of dimension 5 centimetres by 6 centimetres. Ensure you have a dark background for the photo, so that facial features remain distinctly visible.
- Your voter ID card, passport, rent agreement, phone and electricity bill, and payslip (for state government and central government officials) can act as address proof.
- Application for the renewal of the driving licence after the expiry of the grace period (usually 30 days after the expiry of the previous permit) will incur a penalty charge.
Finally, we can say that renewal of the driving licence is essential for legally driving vehicles on Indian roads. Candidates should fill up RTO form 9 after the expiry of the present document to get it renewed by the concerned authority.