RTO Form 31: Application for the Transfer of Ownership in the Name of the Person Succeeding to the Possession of the Vehicle
In some cases, the vehicle gets transferred to the successor or the legal heir when the original owner passes away. However, the applicant requires to submit RTO Form 31 to the Registering Authority to validate the transfer. You also need to furnish the Certificate of Survival or Succession and No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Financier to carry out the legal proceedings. Candidates require two copies of this document when the vehicle is under a hire-purchase or lease or hypothecation agreement. The RTO endorses the Form and sends it through Registered Post to the Financier.
How to fill RTO Form 31 Application?
RTO Form 31 consists of three parts. The first section includes the personal details of the successor and statistics about the vehicle, the second part is a consent from the Financier about the transfer of ownership, and the concluding section is an official endorsement. Detailed below is a step by step process of filling up Form 31.
In the top left-hand corner of Form 31, enter the name of the Registering Authority under whose jurisdiction you want to transfer the automobile.
- Point 1 includes the registration number, make model, chassis number, and the type of vehicle which you want to transfer to your name. Go through the Original registration Certificate before filling up these spaces.
- In point 2, mention the name of the deceased registered owner. You need to furnish the Death Certificate of the original owner to validify your claim.
- Write the name, age, father’s name, and complete postal address of the successor in point 3. In the next space mention the relationship of the heir of the automobile with the deceased owner. You have to enclose proof of your succession from the concerned authority.
- Conclude Part 1 of Form 31 by affixing your signature and date.
- The second section of Form 31 includes consent from the Financier. Enter the full name and complete postal address of the Financing Company if your vehicle is under a hire-purchase or lease or hypothecation agreement. Do not forget to mention the date of form submission in this space.
- The third part of Form 31 is an official endorsement. The applicant does not have to write anything in this part. The RTO official enters the reference number, name of the RTO office, and the date from which the transfer of ownership of the vehicle will come into effect.
- The representative of the Registering Authority also affixes his signature and date to validify the transfer. The names of the Financier and the Registered Owner get mentioned at the end of the Form.
Documents to be Attached
- Registration Certificate of the vehicle
- Insurance Copy
- Death Certificate of the deceased owner
- Certificate of Survival or Succession of the new owner
- Pencil print of the chassis and engine
- Pollution Control Certificate
- PAN card of the new owner
- Identity and address proof of the new owner
- Duly filled Form 20 for the verification of the vehicle
Download Application for the Transfer of Ownership in the Name of the Person Succeeding to the Possession of the Vehicle
Key Factors to be considered while filling Form 31
The applicant must submit a Certificate of Survival or Succession from the concerned department proving him to be the legal heir of the deceased owner.
- If the automobile like Tata Intra V10 is under a hire-purchase or lease or hypothecation agreement then you must submit RTO Form 31 in duplication.
- Write the name and postal address in the document as mentioned in the proofs attached with the Form.
- If there are more than one legal heirs of the deceased owner, then the candidate must furnish an affidavit stating that other successors are willing to get the vehicle registered in the applicant’s name.
Finally, we can say that RTO Form 31 helps in bailing you out if the lawful owner of a vehicle passes away without transferring the ownership to his successor. The document establishes that the applicant is an heir of the deceased owner, and the ownership of the vehicle will get transferred to him with immediate effect.